Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Here we go!

Okay, so I'm not the best blogger. I'm still trying to figure out layouts, how to make things look nice and all that stuff. I forget, procrastinate, yadda yadda yadda. I've been out of Utah for nearly over two weeks now, but I will do my best to chronicle at least from when I left till...well we'll get to that when I get there. :-)

I left Utah and had a blast on the drive. The drive was nice, but there was way too much wind. It really made the drive semi-frustrating. I passed a terrible wreck and even saw them life flight the person out. I actually got blown into a construction cone, which thank goodness only hit my mirror.



Now, I had an interesting experience the week before I left. They say the pen is mightier than the sword, and I really believe they are right! I washed my clothes (as is a good thing to do...at least once a semester) and promptly put them into the dryer. When I started folding after, things just seemed really sticky...with something that was getting on my hands. What was it? Pen ink! I had missed one pen and thus ruined 90% of my clothes! :-) I bought some hairspray and spent a few hours trying to clean out the mess, but it was to no avail. My clothing was surrendered to the angry pen god.

So, after getting back to CA, I spent some time getting new clothes so I didn't have to walk around DC naked. My parents and I got to go to Wicked in San Francisco (which was AMAZING!!!), and then after some final prep I was on my way to the east coast!

I flew from SFO to Richmond, Virginia (after a brief layover in Chicago), and then stayed with my sister and her family for the night. Then, Saturday evening I took an Amtrak train (which was an hour late) to Washington, DC. THEN, I took my two bags (one buckled on top of the other one like so) and found the DC Metro system, nearly got swindled by a guy who was trying to sell me a train ticket (I only would have lost $5 or $10...not bad..but I didn't fall for it!), got on the metro, transferred to a different train (remember this is all with baggage), found the right stop, and then started walking to my new home. I did make a wrong turn...The metro lets you off right at a roundabout and the signs aren't the easiest to read--so I started heading the wrong direction! But I caught on really fast so I was only 5 or so minutes behind. I found my apartment, but for some reason they thought I wasn't coming until Sunday night. Weird! But I got my key and got all checked in. It was glorious :-)

Over the next few days we went around to see a lot of the museums and sights. To start everything off was of course, the White House! We even saw Obama....land in Marine One. From a a distance, but nonetheless. There were actually three idential choppers that came in. The first two came in a swopped off as in fake landings. Interesting all the protective measures. We saw his chopper descend into the trees :-)




More coming because I've only gotten through Sunday the 30th! , but thats all for now!

2 comments:

  1. Mark Williams..I happened to run into your status which said you were in the East Coast...Well I love Virginia/DC. I have lived there for three summers and worked in Downtown DC! you will absolutley love it!!! I'm jealous in fact. I was just there on vacation for three weeks and it was glorious. My aunt lives in Mclean VA which is ten minutes out of the city. So, if you ever need dinner or anything my step sister is there right now too you could have the hook up!! I hope you enjoy your time there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark! I was just talking with Logan yesterday about where you have run off to. Congrats on the internship! That sounds like such a fun experience. Let me know how it goes. I've got a craving for D.C. too. Which program are you there with?

    ReplyDelete