Friday, July 23, 2010

The day within a day (living it twice baby!)

Well, it’s the last day of our trip. We were able to sleep in a little bit (especially because a lot of us stayed up so late doing Kareoke, which I might add was TOTALLY WORTH IT.) Anyways, we were able to have a bit of a slow morning…having breakfast, packing and then getting everything ready to catch the express train to the airport. It is kind of weird knowing that this was the last time that we would be in Tokyo as a whole group. The train ride was pretty short…only an hour or so, and then we started the process of getting checked in and everything. It took a while, but was much better than some of the places that we have already been. We had quite a bit of time to kill, and I was starving, so after we found our gate, I started looking for some food to eat. I could stick with sodas or candy bars, or dried squid, octopus, or kimchi. No thanks. I was done with adventure for a bit, or so it felt. I did find this really nice place though that served some ramen. 100 times better than that top ramen crap they serve in the states. I really liked it (and even ate most of it with chop sticks. I’m actually getting quite good). We made it back to the gate…I celebrated by eating a semi-melted snickers bar (surprisingly, they taste the same in Japan as they do in America.) And got on the plane. Lucky for me (*sarcasm) I got put in the middle seat…well there was 5 on a row and I was 2nd from the end. But…for one of the first times of the trip, I was next to people I know so that was kind of fun. During our 11 hour flight, I watched 5 or so movies, played a trivia game against other people in my group (and won), and basically didn’t sleep at all. But that was ok. It was still fun.
Customs in SLC wasn’t too bad, it was just slow because they don’t have a lot of international planes come in normally I think. In any case, it was weird to be back home. I hadn’t been able to coordinate a ride before I left Japan, so thankfully one of the girls from the trip let me get a ride with her ride. They were so kind to let me tag a long.

Overall, it was an amazing trip and I would love to do it again. I think about all the things that I was able to participate in—in only 27 days and I really am surprised. The experience was totally worth it…I come away with so many more friends and such a bigger understanding of how the world really works. Everyone I’ve talked to about study abroads say that it was some of their favorite experiences in the world. And now I finally know what they mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment