Thursday, July 8, 2010

If I could leave Switz-er-land, then go to Chamonix, go through a long long tunnel, and end up in Italy...OOps..I did.

(July 8)
Wow...what a long title. It rhymed...don't judge me. haha


Today was another travel day…but with a ton of travel, we got to see some of the most beautiful places in the world.

Me and my roommate were awoken quite early (8 am) haha when the cleaning lady walked in our room. She was ready to clean already! These Switzerlandians are very avid about keeping things clean (as evidenced by the very clean city). Haha.

I We got ready for the day and then went to go grab some breakfast, because we both had some coins that we had to get rid of, especially because there aren’t any other countries that se the Swiss Franc. I got my usual bread and pain au chocolat, and then with my extra money got this amazing strawberry tart and an apple thing. The apple thing wasn’t very good, but the strawberry thing was amazing. YUM.

We left and began our day long trek to Milan. We were hoping to be able to stop at Zermatt, which is where the Matterhorn is, but it would have been too long of a detour, so we had to settle with Chamonix (Mont Blanc), France, which actually was the site of the first winter olympics in 1928. (Do they have a bob/skele track? I don’t know…It would be cool if they did!) In any case, it was one of the most beautiful mountain scenes I’ve ever seen in my life. There was a glacier off in the distance, and you could totally see where the glacier ended.



The air was so clear, and it definitely made me think of a small Park City feel. I wish we had more time to explore the city, especially as they had a little fair going on at the time, and there were a lot of trams that would take you up to the top of the various peaks. I have to go back…I WILL go back, because it was too beautiful of a place not to.



What did we have for lunch? McDonalds ☺ The fact that we were in France again made it hard for some of us, because we didn’t have extra Euros from when we were in paris. And, McDonalds takes credit cards, so…we were set.



A few people went into a candy store that was across the street from McDonalds. This is what we found. hahahahaha



Its good to know that Mickey Dees is totally making BANK in foreign countries…with the exchange rate, I paid about 10.50 for a small value meal, and a few friends paid more than 11 dollars for a salad. Gotta love it!

We kept on going and as we left Chamonix, we went through this long tunnel that went through the mountain. It lasted…FOREVER. But when we finally got out (after somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes,) we were in Italy! And boy, it was beautiful. We were on the other side of the Alps, and saw some beautiful mountains. There seemed to be a plethora of chateaus as we drove closer and closer to Torino and Milano. After class, and a few other discussions on the bus, we finally made it to the city. It was much different than I expected. I’m not sure what I expected, but it was much different than it none the less. We checked into the hotel (which doesn’t offer free internet…lame for a self-procliamed 4 star hotel). And then went out to find some dinner and of course…gelato! I shared with a friend and got a pizza with mushrooms, olives, cheese, sauce, and artichoke hearts (way good!), and my friend got some gnocci with tomato pesto.



It was a lot different than I thought it would be, but it was really good! Then we walked around and found some shops, and got some gelato. I of course got Chocolate. Ironically, I think my favorite chocolate so far has been in France (chocolate mousse) and their yogurt flavor. But I have 4 more days to try gelato…and see if that is my firm decision ☺

A few of us went out to try and find free Wifi at a mcdonalds, but to no avail. We found an internet café, but it was more expensive than the paid internet from the hotel. So, back at the hotel…watching Fox news (the only English channel…random), and getting ready to work on homework. Go figure ☺

OH! And I forgot to mention, that I found out the other day that my documentary project “I am Not my Body” has gotten a green light, as well as the beginning of my funding! I’ll need about $5,000, and I’ve gotten a grant for the first $1,000! So…now to raise the other 4K…and to get it all together in about 4 months. I can do it ☺ Its all part of the adventure.

Ciao!

(I have to pay for internet here, so I probably won't post the next few days for a few days)

No comments:

Post a Comment