Monday, July 12, 2010

I love Italy.

July 9
Our first full day in Italy, and boy was it a good one. My roommate and I slept through the alarm or something, so we missed breakfast. Apprenetly its nothing great, but still…we missed breakfast! I was secretly happy thought, because I wasn’t very hungry after our escapades with good pizza and gelato. So, we grabbed some granola bars, and after just kind of hanging out for an hour or so, we went to try and find an international phone card for my roommate, so he could call his pregnant wife. At least she has been spending her time in CA, where life is always beautiful haha.

iWe found a card and then hustled back to the hotel to make it ontime to our group meeting. We found out fhat one of the members of our group had ended up going home early because of some health issues. What a bummer. The person was really nice, so I hope they get better quickly. Bummer.
Italy likes to randomly have train and trolley strikes I am told, and today was one of those chosen days. So, the public transit system was closed for the day, however, it was randomly opened at other times. I didn’t get it. Whatever. We were going to have to walk about 2 or 3 miles to our business visit for the day, which was with Pirelli Tires.



 The visit was really important to be fresh for, so we’d have to work extra hard to be on our game, since we’d be walking the whole way. Boy, was it hot! I’m sure I sweat at least a litre in the hour or so it took to walk. Haha. No bueno. Anyway, we all had fun with eachother as we walked and had fun chatting along the way. We got to the business place and began our one hour meeting. The business visit rocked! We had so much fun talking with them about their business model and how they are overcoming tcurrent media challenges. It was really awesome. And…they gave us FREE HATS! How could life get any better? By this time it was around 4 PM, and none of us had eaten lunch, so we were all ready to eat. On the way, we’d stopped at this small pizzeria for water and to slightly freshen up. We were going to go back to the pizzeria and eat as a group, but when we tried…theyw ere closed! Which was weird, because they said they would be open until after 6. Weird. We went to a mall, and they didn’t have enough food to feed us all, and we walked around looking for other places, and they were all closed too! We couldn’t find anywhere to eat! I guess all the businesses closed down for a 3 or 4 hour siesta style thing, so we finally found a grocery story and we just got water and juice and snacks.



The professors bought us some popcicles too, which tasted quite good. I got some grapes and they were great, but they weren’t seedless, so that was an adventure for sure.
We walked back and clead up and then go to go back out as a group for dinner. The teachers took us to this awesome pizzeria with real homemade thick crust pizza that is cooked in the fire. It was just margherita pizza, but it was AWESOME!



They had this awesome olive oil hot sauce to put on it too…it just had some crushed pepper in it…and it made the taste even more great. The sauce was so perfect..it wasn’t too sweet, but still felt super fresh. I loved it!
They decided to give us gelato too, so we went to this reportedly awesome gelato place…and the place didn’t dissapoint. I, of course, got dark chocolate and yogurt (again) and it was very rich on both accounts.



 We walked towards to Duomo, which is the main cathedral of the city. When we got there, it just kind of popped up out of no where. The building took hundred of years to build, and was absolutely amazing to se. I only which that I could have gone and seen it when it was open. It would be awesome.






Across the street from the duomo is the galleria, which is the big shopping area downtown. In the galleria is a bull mosaic with his balls beared in all their glory. Apparently, its good luck to dig in a heel and take a spin on the bulls’ balls. So…needing all the good luck I can get (reportedly, it also gives you power over your enemies, success, luck in love, better sex, etc.and who knows what else they say it will help with), I had to take a spin. I still feel the same, but who knows. Maybe the luck is on my way! Haha.




As we began walking back towards the hotel, we came upon another gellateria, and the two professors wanted to stop. So…I decided to at least check it out. And, of course, I had to try the dark chocolate ☺ It was great…possibly even better than the first. I love dark chocolate gelato ☺
Back to the hotel, got a few minutes to talk to my family on the internet, and simmered down. What a great night. I love Italy. Then again, theres not many places I don’t love. But seriously. I love italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment