Saturday, July 10, 2010

Venice. Need I say More?

July 10, 2010
Venice. Need I say more? We weren’t sure that we were going to be able to make it to Venice today because of the strike, so the teachers told us all to meet early AM to see what the plan would be. Breakfast was actually pretty good (yes, I made it up in time) and we got to the room in time. Chad wasn’t there as he was at the train station trying to get tickets for all of us…and he walked in during our morning devotional. His pockets looked pretty bare, so I didn’t think that we had a chance. Oh ye of little faith. We got tickets! So, we went over to the train station (we are just about a 5 minute walk away) and jumped on the quick train to Venice. It took about 2.5 hours, but with talking, laughing, and sleeping, it went pretty fast. I’d gotten some great tips for things to see from a friend who used to live in Milan, so I was glad to have a little heads up of what to look for during the days escapades. We were off! The scene was so picturesque. The day was really clear and the colors were beautiful. I don’t even want to know how many pictures I took…I know it was a lot though. There were so many opportunities! We walked around for a while looking for St. Mark’s square (my church! Ahah) and found a bunch of little shops that were really fun to look in instead. By that time, I was really getting hungry, so I got some pizza (of course) to curb my appetite and we kept on walking. Along the way we found this really cool market and I was able to buy some water for only 30 cents! I love great deals. The water tasted good, I just wish it had been cold. I’m not complaining though…a deal is a deal! Right across from the market were some people trying to move a refrigerator up into a 3rd story house. It was really quite interesting to wach them. Apparently, they had put a dishwasher up there earlier, but we had just barely missed it. We kept walking around, found more shops, and just had a really good time. We finally made it to St. Mark’s Square, and it was much bigger than I expected. There was a long line to go into the cathedral, and so the teachers we were with told us to go and look around and then come back rather than us all wait in line. We walked over to the water, which was just about a minute’s walk, and then to the “bridge of sighs”, which is right next to it. Apparently, this particular bridge was the last one that prisoners would cross before heading into the prison that is right next to the church…and they would get their last look at Venice. They would sigh..and then probably be stuck in prinson or die. Fun stuff, eh? We grabbed some (nasty) gelato (I lost 2 euro…not sure how though) and we went back. The other people I was with and I all thought we’d only been gone for maybe 10 minutes or so…and apparently we’d been gone for close to a half hour! Time goes by much too fast when you’re having fun! So, the group was already inside and we didn’t get to go in. Bummer. But that is okay…we snuck in the exit and got to see a little bit of it, which at least gives a great idea of what things are supposed to look like.
At this point, we got the idea that a water taxi tour around the city would be a great idea. We found a few more people from our group that would be interested and then went to find a water taxi that wouldn’t screw us out of our money. It took a while, and some people decided that they didn’t want to do it, but it all ended up happening anyway. And, though it was a little pricey, it was totally worth it. We got to get some great air, sit down, and really see the city in a way that you don’t normally get to. They took us around the entire grand canal, which was amazing. We made it back towards st. mark’s and got to see the little channel that is there as well. Venice is one beautiful city. I kept thinking that I was in the middle of the James Bond/Indiana Jones/Italian Job movie (because the boats are the same) and they happen in Venice. Ohhh…it was awesome.
I broek off and followed some other people in my group after that we we just had fun walking around, going into shops, and just seeing what the city was all about. I got convinced to buy an Italian made tie (it is pretty nice…especially with the deal I got on it…seeing as the previous place we went into had ties at around 180 bucks per tie). We kept walking around and found lots more nifty trinkets. I got some more pizza, and …thought I personally didn’t find any more trinkets to buy…had a lot of fun looking at the amazing glass sculptures that the people there who bloq glass make. I’d love to go back again when I have more time and buy more of this beautiful glass. I think one of the most amaing things I saw had to do with fish in a fake aquarium, and also this beautiful eagle which was at least 4 feet tall. It was quite amazing.
We took a while to figure out where we were and how to get back to the train station where we were supposed to meet at the end fo the day. We walked over this really modern bridge to finish off our adventure and then then met up with everyone to make it back on the train. A lot of people slept (so I got some AWESOME pictures of them) and a lot of us just chatted and got to know eachother even better on the trip. The people here are amazing. Its going to be interesting to see where we all end up in 5/10/15/20+ years. We are all getting more comfortable with one another as the trip goes on, and becoming better friends. Gotta love it!
We made it back, and broke up into groups to find dinner. I went with the McDonalds group, because I am committed to having McDonalds at least once in ever country we are in. I’m 100% so far! The meal was cheaper than any of our others before, but didn’t taste the best. That is the better part. I think they make the cheeseburgers in masses and then just give them out. Whatev.
To finish up the day, I am writing this. And I took a shower, did my laundry, and am just getting to relax for a few minutes to the sounds of English news, and a Chinese music channel that is really weird sounding…but rather intriguing at the same time.
Tomorrow is Church and Lake Como, which should be amazing. Life could not be better.

Until next time…Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment