Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Switz-er-land...our great and olympic home...

July 7, 2010

Well, today was the last day in Switzerland. I can’t believe that we are as far in the trip that we are. Time goes by so fast and it seems like we show up in a city and then leave right after. But, I have to say that this still has been one of the greatest experiences I’ve ever had in my life and it has feinitely been worthy my time and money.

For breakfast, me and a few other people from my program walked down ta small bakery that is just a block or so away from our hotel. They have these really great bread things for really cheap, so I got one of those, and when I noticed they had pain au chocolat, I had to get one of those too! I mean c’mon…its pain au chocolat ☺ We jumped on the bus and it was my turn to do a business presentation about a business that we were going to see and visit. I have to admit, I was very excited to do my report on the business I did, because it is pretty much one of the awesome companies o the world. It was the International Olympic Committee!



We actually got to go to their headquarters in Lausanne, and needless to say, they did not dissapoint at all They spent about two hours with us answering our questions and despcribing their business model. Althought they are a non profit organization, they are very much a business with defined goals and ways of working. They gave us a little folder and pad of paper with te Olympic logo on it and a pen as well. They gave water to everyone, and some of the water was the carbonated kind, so it was funny to watch people take their first drink of the caronated water when they weren’t expecting it. Haha!



After the presntation, they were nice enough to provide lunch for us in their cafeteria. It was AMAZING. They offered chicken curry, fish, steak, or even sushi type stuff along with a variety of vegetables, side dishes, and other things. Even some desserts. I just got a few veggies and the steak, and it was definitely one of thebetter steaks that I have ever had. I think one of the cool things is that they cook it for you right there. Its no typical caferita food. So, America….THIS is how you do cafeteria food.



Next, they took us to their Olympic Museum which was just a few kilometers away. We got free admission, and it was such an awesome experience. They had an awesome gift shop with so many rtifacts from past Olympic games, it was awesome. In the museum, they had a bunch of historic artifacts about the history of the games from the beginning, as well as the modern games and how they got restarted. Finally, they had examples of medals from each of the modern oluympic games, and one of the Olympic torches from each of the modern Olympic games. It was so inspiring to see all the different things that have been used to carry the Olympic fire.

They also had an example of how the Olympic fire is started before each torch relay. I didn’t know it, but it’s a really big deal. They have people dress up as high priestesses and they are actually able to make the fire start by concentrating the sun’s rays in this unique bowl device. So, at the stat of each torch relay, it starts from from the sun and then is carried all aound the world until it lights the olympic cauldron wherever the games are. It was totally inspiring.



They had this other exhibit where you can test your athletic ability. It was really fun to watch eachother try to accomplish the different tasks. I did pretty well! Hahah.
Outside the museum, they have examples set up of some of the world records. They have the highest high jump, ole vault, and shot put records so you can see and feel what it is really like to have accomplished those records. And of course, a faux medal podium. I Win!



Finally, outside, they have the Olympic flame still burning in this special cauldron. It was really inspiring to see the Olympic flame. Maybe someday, I’ll even get to carry the real thing as part of the olympics. Who knows! Anything can happen…if you let it!



Back to the hotel, and a big group of us all got together and went swimming in the lake that is right next to where we were. The water was a little dirty with debris…mostly plants, but it was so nice. Thiere was this giant pole that a bunch of us climbed up on andjumped off of. Super fun!

After that, we walked back towards the metro and got a croque monsieur and some gelato. Yum. It will be interesting to try real gelato in italy in the next day or so. Yum! And McDonalds of course. I gotta try it in every country haha.

We tried to find that festival that was going on, but with no luck. A few people stayed down by the waterfront and tried to watch the world cup game, but I decided to go back to the hotel with the people that were going. It was getting late anyway and most things were closed.

Back to homework. Woohoo

No comments:

Post a Comment